"Between the river and the ravens I'm fed, sweet deliverer you lift up my head, lead me in your way."

Thursday, April 1, 2010

Just a Volleyball

It's natural to feel alone.

Can you imagine being the only human left on earth? Just you, cockroaches, and the world? What would you do? How would you survive? And how would you live?

Even though I doubt that anything close to I Am Legend will ever happen, I hesitate to imagine being completely on my own. Even though the Earth's population is approximatley 6.8 billion, it is apparent that many people feel all alone. The ideas of family, friendship, and community are crucial to living a fullfilled life. I think about the movie Cast Away, and how it would have been incredably boring if anyone but Tom Hanks had starred in it.(Just another reason why I love Tom Hanks, which seems to be a reoccuring theme in this blog) In the movie, Tom is so desperate for a companion, he fashions a friend out of a Wilson Volleyball. He appropriately names him Wilson. During his escape attempt, he must choose between saving Wilson or his raft. He eventually lets Wilson go, but it is an incredably painful and heart-breaking choice. That scene makes you realize the inherit human need for companionship. We all crave the closeness of another person, someone we can identify with and talk to.
Even if it is just a volleyball.

No comments:

Post a Comment